About the Position
Responsible for assisting providers with routine paperwork, such as Home Health form, patient forms, etc. Responsible for the planning, implementation and follow-up of patient referrals.
Dependent on Experience
Reports to the Medical Manager
Duties & Responsibilities
- Schedules patients for ancillary tests and appointments with outside providers
- Completes referral arrangements utilizing appropriate forms and maintains appropriate logs or paperwork for tracking referrals outside the clinic
- Explains test or appointment preparation to patients for outside appointments
- Obtains insurance pre-authorizations or referral confirmation as needed
- Assists with pre-determining eligibility for Project Access, sends correspondence, faxes, and coordinates with the SRS Project Access staff
- Communicates with Providers regarding patients referred for ancillary tests/appointments with outside providers regarding scheduling issues, results, follow-up and other necessary issues
- Establishes professional relationships with outside providers, labs and medical facilities where patients are referred. Keeps professional communication ongoing to ensure quality patient care, timely referrals and smooth referral operations
- Returns or receives patient phone calls during office hours or meets with patients in the office to coordinate referrals and appointments
- Coordinates information necessary to those involved in the patient care process
- Assists with the flow of patient charts from nurse’s station, medical records and provider areas
- Communicates with front desk staff and supervisor regarding patient flow and services.
- Retrieves tests and/or consultation results from outside sources
- Maintains and stocks forms and supplies needed in area
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times
- Assists in the development and documentation of protocols related to his or her job functions
Experience & Qualifications
Education & Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Bilingual Spanish preferred
- Previous customer service experience required
- Previous computer experience required
- Medical terminology with one-year experience in a public healthcare-related field preferred
- Previous medical receptionist experience or background in general office work preferred
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment, including computers, copiers, and other standard office equipment
- Ability to work independently, organize, monitor, and adjust work as necessary to ensure accuracy and timeliness
- Demonstrated ability to identify and solve problems
- Ability to strongly embrace and personify the mission and values of GraceMed with socio-economic and cultural sensitivity in mind
- Must display good verbal and written communication skills, and be able to professionally receive and follow oral instructions
Work Environment & Schedule
Medical office setting. Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time. Bending, stooping, and lifting (up to 50lbs.) may be required. Interaction with physicians, patients and other office personnel. May involve contact with angry, upset or ill persons. May involve potential exposure to blood and body fluids and other hazardous substances. Must have visual acuity and manual dexterity to interface with computer. Must have auditory acuity to handle phone calls.
Normal schedule is Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm., schedule may vary.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
As an employee of GraceMed Health Clinic, Inc., you are bound by principles of medical ethics. You have both a legal and moral obligation to protect the privacy of our patients. In the course of your work, you will have access to confidential information regarding patients, and/or the practices’ confidential business. It is essential that you refrain from any discussions regarding personal information about a patient, a patient’s condition, a patient’s finances, proprietary company information, and/or the practices’ confidential business with any third person. This includes, but is not limited to, other employees, your spouse, family or friends.
Confidentiality is so important that any breach of this policy will be considered grounds for termination. Review and signature of the Agreement is a condition of employment. Successful skills testing, drug screening, and a background check are required for employment.