About the Position
Provides critical first contact between patients and GraceMed Health Clinic, Inc. Professionally greets and directs patients through scheduling follow-up appointments, and updating pertinent information in EClinical Works (ECW) database.
Dependent on Experience
Reports to the Clinic Manager
Duties & Responsibilities
- Greets and check in patients arriving for an appointment, helps patients feel welcome
- Verifies necessary information for patient appointments to include; patient information is current in ECW software and type of clinical visit
- Verifies patient information prior to appointment including, next day insurance coverage verification (if expired or changed note account, this patient will be referred to the payment specialist upon arrival), and same day demographic verification. Ensures action is corrected and noted in ECW as needed
- Assist with next day appointment reminders when needed. Ensures action is noted in ECW
- Prepares paperwork for patients to complete in advance of appointment
- Documents patient cancellations and failure to show for appointment per protocol
- Receives deliveries, and distributes them to appropriate personnel
- Maintains cleanliness and orderliness of reception work area and the waiting area.
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times
Experience & Qualifications
Education & Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Bilingual Spanish preferred
- Previous customer service experience
- Previous medical/dental receptionist experience or background in general office work preferred
- Additional training and/or experience in office procedures and medical/dental terminology preferred
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment, including computers, copiers, and other standard office equipment
- Ability to work independently, organize, monitor, and adjust work as necessary to ensure accuracy and timeliness
- Demonstrated ability to identify and solve problems
- Able to provide innovative input into the development of the office environments and its processes.
- Able to learn new concepts and procedures quickly
- Excellent organization skills and commitment to accuracy
- Ability to strongly embrace and personify the mission and values of GraceMed with socio-economic and cultural sensitivity in mind
- Must display good verbal and written communication skills, and be able to professionally receive and follow oral instructions
- Compassion for patients, family members, and others; along with a nurturing spirit to provide care during stressful situations
- Able to communicate well with people both in personal contacts and on the telephone
Work Environment & Schedule
Medical/dental office setting. Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time. Bending, stooping, and lifting (up to 50lbs.) may be required. Interaction with physicians, patients and other office personnel. May involve contact with angry, upset or ill persons. May involve potential exposure to blood and body fluids and other hazardous substances. Must have visual acuity and manual dexterity to interface with computer. Must have auditory acuity to handle phone calls.
Normal schedule is Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm., schedule may vary.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
As an employee of GraceMed Health Clinic, Inc., you are bound by principles of medical ethics. You have both a legal and moral obligation to protect the privacy of our patients. In the course of your work, you will have access to confidential information regarding patients, and/or the practices’ confidential business. It is essential that you refrain from any discussions regarding personal information about a patient, a patient’s condition, a patient’s finances, proprietary company information, and/or the practices’ confidential business with any third person. This includes, but is not limited to, other employees, your spouse, family or friends.
Confidentiality is so important that any breach of this policy will be considered grounds for termination. Review and signature of the Agreement is a condition of employment. Successful skills testing, drug screening, and a background check are required for employment.