About the Position
Provides professional optometric services to complement the delivery of primary health care services at GraceMed Health Clinic; provides clinical leadership to support staff.
Dependent on Experience
Reports to the Chief Medical Officer
Duties & Responsibilities
- Examines eyes to diagnose vision problems and eye diseases; tests patients’ visual acuity, depth and color perception with ability to focus and coordinate the eyes
- Prescribes eyeglasses and contact lenses and provides vision therapy and low-vision rehabilitation.
- Analyzes test results and develops treatment plans
- Administers drugs to patients to aid in the diagnosis of vision problems and prescribe drugs to treat eye diseases and conditions
- Provides postoperative care to surgical patients
- Diagnoses conditions caused by systemic diseases such as diabetes and high blood pressure and refers patients to other health practitioners as needed
- Completes of all documentation and paperwork in a timely manner
- Works closely with supervisor to provide leadership and direction for the optometry clinic
- Attends all staff, clinical, board or other special meetings as requested
- Represent GraceMed at functions as requested
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times
- Assists with orientation and training of support staff
Experience & Qualifications
Education & Experience
- Doctor of Optometry degree
- Current State of Kansas OD licensure
- Current DEA certificate preferred
- Board Certification in Specialty preferred
- CPR certification (must be obtained within 30 days of employment)
- Maintains appropriate licensure and certification including meeting and/or exceeding CME requirements
- Previous medical office experience preferred
- Experience in public health preferred
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment, including computers, copiers, and other standard office equipment
- Ability to work independently, organize, monitor, and adjust work as necessary to ensure accuracy and timeliness
- Demonstrated ability to identify and solve problems
- Understands ethics of confidentiality
- Ability to strongly embrace and personify the mission and values of GraceMed with socio-economic and cultural sensitivity in mind
- Must display good verbal and written communication skills, and be able to professionally receive and follow oral instructions
- Compassion for patients, family members, and others; along with a nurturing spirit to provide care during stressful situations
Work Environment & Schedule
Medical office environment. Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time. Bending, stooping, and lifting (up to 50lbs.) may be required. Interaction with physicians, patients and other office personnel. May involve contact with angry, upset or ill persons. May involve potential exposure to blood and body fluids and other hazardous substances. Must have visual acuity and manual dexterity to interface with computer. Must have auditory acuity to handle phone calls.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
This job description has been examined for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) (May 1995).
Normal schedule is Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm., schedule may vary.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
As an employee of GraceMed Health Clinic, Inc., you are bound by principles of medical ethics. You have both a legal and moral obligation to protect the privacy of our patients. In the course of your work, you will have access to confidential information regarding patients, and/or the practices’ confidential business. It is essential that you refrain from any discussions regarding personal information about a patient, a patient’s condition, a patient’s finances, proprietary company information, and/or the practices’ confidential business with any third person. This includes, but is not limited to, other employees, your spouse, family or friends.
Confidentiality is so important that any breach of this policy will be considered grounds for termination. Review and signature of the Agreement is a condition of employment. Successful skills testing, drug screening, and a background check are required for employment.