About the Position
Provides critical support to staff in the medical clinic by supplying accurate and timely maintenance, retrieval, and distribution of patient medical records.
Dependent on Experience
Reports to the Medical Manager
Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintains the medical record files; sorts, files and collates information such as laboratory and pathology reports and clinic notes; files into the correct patient medical records file in the appropriate sequence and in accordance with established procedures
- Pulls charts for designated reasons; upon request of other staff members, for messages, prescription refills, or lab reports. Assigns medical problems as priority for scheduled appointments per established procedures
- Files and retrieves medical records in accordance with established filing system and predetermined priorities; researches lost or missing records in accordance with established procedures
- Examines patient medical records for completeness and ensures all required information is included; refers to supervisor for any noted deficiencies
- Scans RX refills into telephone encounters; ensures the correct pharmacy and providers are listed; assigns telephone encounter to the correct triage nurse for the provider
- Prints medical records in order of receiving for Release of Information requests: doctors’ offices, patients, lawyers, insurance companies, etc. Maintains excel spreadsheet documenting charges (if applicable). Documents patient records appropriately
- Maintains cleanliness and orderliness of the medical records area
- Assists in the development and documentation of protocols related to his or her job functions.
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times
Experience & Qualifications
Education & Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Graduate of an accredited medical records program preferred
- Previous medical office experience or background in general office work
- Previous electronic medical records experience preferred
- Additional training or experience in office procedures and medical terminology preferred
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment, including computers, copiers, and other standard office equipment
- Ability to work independently, organize, monitor, and adjust work as necessary to ensure accuracy and timeliness
- Demonstrated ability to identify and solve problems
- Excellent organization skills and commitment to accuracy
- Able to provide innovative input into the development of the office environments and its processes
- Ability to strongly embrace and personify the mission and values of GraceMed with socio-economic and cultural sensitivity in mind
- Must display good verbal and written communication skills, and be able to professionally receive and follow oral instructions
- Learns new concepts and procedures quickly
Work Environment & Schedule
Medical office setting. Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time. Bending, stooping, and lifting (up to 50lbs.) may be required. Interaction with physicians, patients and other office personnel. May involve contact with angry, upset or ill persons. May involve potential exposure to blood and body fluids and other hazardous substances. Must have visual acuity and manual dexterity to interface with computer. Must have auditory acuity to handle phone calls.
Normal schedule is Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm., schedule may vary.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
As an employee of GraceMed Health Clinic, Inc., you are bound by principles of medical ethics. You have both a legal and moral obligation to protect the privacy of our patients. In the course of your work, you will have access to confidential information regarding patients, and/or the practices’ confidential business. It is essential that you refrain from any discussions regarding personal information about a patient, a patient’s condition, a patient’s finances, proprietary company information, and/or the practices’ confidential business with any third person. This includes, but is not limited to, other employees, your spouse, family or friends.
Confidentiality is so important that any breach of this policy will be considered grounds for termination. Review and signature of the Agreement is a condition of employment. Successful skills testing, drug screening, and a background check are required for employment.