About the Position
Provides patient care services to complement the provider’s role of delivering primary health care services at GraceMed Health Clinic, Inc.
Dependent on Experience
Reports to the Medical Manager/Clinic Manager
Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepares patients for examination, treatments and procedures
- Obtains vital signs and chief complaints
- Obtains and/or reviews family history
- Chaperones and assists providers during exams and procedures
- Administers P.O. and I.M. injections and medications as ordered (after completion of competency training)
- Cleans and sterilizes equipment and instruments
- Maintains and stocks exam rooms
- Performs phlebotomy and CLIA waived lab tests
- Performs direct patient care within the limits of his/her training and capabilities when the provider is unavailable
- Documents administration of all injections and medications in medical records
- Records lab results in medical record and notifies patients of their results subsequent to provider reviews
- Records family history in medical records
- Returns or receives patient phone calls during office hours; performs triage of patients by phone or in office, assessing medical needs of patient and coordinating appropriate care or interventions and referring to licensed staff or providers as indicated
- Provides patient education as requested
- Assures proper labeling and handling of all specimens. Completes appropriate requisitions and/or paperwork
- Maintains a follow-up system for lab results
- Coordinates referrals and schedules appointments with specialists and ancillary services on behalf of patients in the absence of designated employee
- Maintains clinical equipment and supplies
- Assists in the development of and documents protocols related to his or her job functions
- Assists in the development of new staff as it relates to his or her job functions
Experience & Qualifications
Education & Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Graduate from an accredited Medical Assistant program strongly preferred. Other equivalent healthcare certificates or degrees may be considered with the appropriate combined experience
- CPR certification (must be obtained within 30 days of hire)
- Minimum one-year direct experience in a medical assistant role required for candidates with no formal MA education
- Previous patient care related experience is preferred for candidates with formal MA education
- Previous computer experience or training in medical field preferred
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment, including computers, copiers, and other standard office equipment
- Ability to work independently, organize, monitor, and adjust work as necessary to ensure accuracy and timeliness
- Demonstrated ability to identify and solve problems
- Can provide innovative input into the development of the office and its processes
- Ability to strongly embrace and personify the mission and values of GraceMed with socio-economic and cultural sensitivity in mind
- Must display good verbal and written communication skills, and be able to professionally receive and follow oral instructions
- Compassion for patients, family members, and others; along with a nurturing spirit to provide care during stressful situations
- Understands ethics of confidentiality
- Courteous, honest and professional at all times
Work Environment & Schedule
Medical office setting. Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time. Bending, stooping, and lifting (up to 50lbs.) may be required. Interaction with physicians, patients and other office personnel. May involve contact with angry, upset or ill persons. May involve potential exposure to blood and body fluids and other hazardous substances. Must have visual acuity and manual dexterity to interface with computer. Must have auditory acuity to handle phone calls.
Schedule will vary by clinic, but will be normally scheduled 40 hours per work week (Monday-Friday). Schedules may vary based on patient volume.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
As an employee of GraceMed Health Clinic, Inc., you are bound by principles of medical ethics. You have both a legal and moral obligation to protect the privacy of our patients. In the course of your work, you will have access to confidential information regarding patients, and/or the practices’ confidential business. It is essential that you refrain from any discussions regarding personal information about a patient, a patient’s condition, a patient’s finances, proprietary company information, and/or the practices’ confidential business with any third person. This includes, but is not limited to, other employees, your spouse, family or friends.
Confidentiality is so important that any breach of this policy will be considered grounds for termination. Review and signature of the Agreement is a condition of employment. Successful skills testing, drug screening, and a background check are required for employment.