About the Position
Provides critical support to staff in the dental clinic by supplying accurate and timely maintenance, retrieval, and distribution of patient health records.
Dependent on Experience
Reports to the Dental Manager
Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintains the record files; places files in alphabetical order to eliminate unnecessary searching for lost health records and expedites pulling charts as needed; sorts, files and collates information such as clinic notes; files into the correct patient health file in the appropriate sequence and in accordance with established procedures
- Pulls charts for designated reasons; upon request of other staff members, for messages, prescription refills, or lab reports. Assigns problems as priority for scheduled appointments per established procedures
- Files and retrieves health records in accordance with established filing system and predetermined priorities; researches lost or missing health records in accordance with established procedures
- Examines patient health records for completeness and ensures all required information is included; refers to supervisor for any noted deficiencies
- Copies health records in order of receiving requests. Maintains log documenting the charge (if applicable). Dates received/sent for each request; retrieves and copies information from patient Health to answer authorized requests in support of patient care activities, patient account settlements, and third party sponsorship. Documents patient health records appropriately
- Collaborates with dentist/pharmacies/patients to obtain new prescriptions or to refill prescriptions
- Responsible for scanning film x-rays into electronic health record
- Maintains cleanliness and orderliness of the health records area
- Assists in the development and documentation of protocols related to his or her job functions
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times
Experience & Qualifications
Education & Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- RHIT Associates or equivalent preferred
- Previous health office experience or background in general office work
- Previous customer service experience
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment, including computers, copiers, and other standard office equipment
- Ability to work independently, organize, monitor, and adjust work as necessary to ensure accuracy and timeliness
- Demonstrated ability to identify and solve problems
- Excellent organization skills and commitment to accuracy
- Able to interface with computers effectively
- Able to provide innovative input into the development of the office environments and its processes
- Must possess high degree of organizational skills
- Ability to strongly embrace and personify the mission and values of GraceMed with socio-economic and cultural sensitivity in mind
- Must display good verbal and written communication skills, and be able to professionally receive and follow oral instructions
- Honest, courteous and professional at all times
- Learns new concepts and procedures quickly
- Understand ethics of confidentiality
Work Environment & Schedule
Medical office environment. Multi-task oriented position. May require sitting for long periods of time. Bending, stooping, and lifting (up to 50lbs) may be required. Must interact with patients, the general public, other office personnel, and physicians. May involve contact with angry, upset or ill persons. Must have visual acuity and manual dexterity to interface with computer. Must have auditory acuity to handle heavy phone call load and interact with patients effectively.
Normal schedule is Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm., schedule may vary.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
As an employee of GraceMed Health Clinic, Inc., you are bound by principles of medical ethics. You have both a legal and moral obligation to protect the privacy of our patients. In the course of your work, you will have access to confidential information regarding patients, and/or the practices’ confidential business. It is essential that you refrain from any discussions regarding personal information about a patient, a patient’s condition, a patient’s finances, proprietary company information, and/or the practices’ confidential business with any third person. This includes, but is not limited to, other employees, your spouse, family or friends.
Confidentiality is so important that any breach of this policy will be considered grounds for termination. Review and signature of the Agreement is a condition of employment. Successful skills testing, drug screening, and a background check are required for employment.