About the Position
This position provides for the pastoral needs of patients, families and staff and assists to understand more fully life's events as they relate to their spiritual and emotional well-being through prayer and reflection.
Dependent on Experience
Reports to the Chaplain Manager
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides spiritual care for patients receiving services at GraceMed; to include hospital visitation of those individuals referred by medical providers
- Facilitates Bible study and devotional times to help staff deepen their spirituality
- Serves the families of deceased patients and staff as required by follow-up guidance
- Participates in committees and patient/staff conferences to enhance the continuity of care to patients
- Establishes positive working relationships with all members of the health team as well as with the volunteers
- Offers in-service programs regularly to staff
- Serves as a liaison with local churches and other organizations to promote and educate congregations regarding the organization’s health care ministry
- Keeps records as required
- Maintains the highest levels of confidentiality with sensitive information when talking with patients and/or staff members
Experience & Qualifications
Education & Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Some college preferred
- Certification by an appropriate clinical pastoral agency or a letter of endorsement and good standing with recognized religious denomination
- Valid Kansas Driver's License and satisfactory driving record required
- Minimum two years of pastoral experience or other applicable experience
- Completed a curriculum of theological classes and displays skills and competencies in pastoral care preferred
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment, including computers, copiers, and other standard office equipment
- Ability to work independently, organize, monitor, and adjust work as necessary to ensure accuracy and timeliness
- Demonstrated ability to identify and solve problems
- Ability to lead and coordinate prayer
- Ability to facilitate group process
- Proven ability to work in a team setting
- Ability to strongly embrace and personify the mission and values of GraceMed
- Must display good verbal and written communication skills, and be able to professionally receive and follow oral instructions
- Ability and stamina to minister to patients, families and staff with varying physical and mental disabilities
- Flexibility in work hours, programs, and services
- Ability and desire to work with individuals of varying faith backgrounds
- Well-established spiritual maturity, humility, faith, and connection to Christ
Work Environment & Schedule
Medical office setting. Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time. Bending, stooping, and lifting (up to 50lbs.) may be required. Interaction with physicians, patients and other office personnel. May involve contact with angry, upset or ill persons. May involve potential exposure to blood and body fluids and other hazardous substances. Must have visual acuity and manual dexterity to interface with computer. Must have auditory acuity to handle phone calls.
Up to 20 hours per week as necessary to fulfill requirements and needs of the Topeka ministry as it continues to grow. May require work outside of usual business hours; including evenings or weekends, to handle patient or personnel issues and attend meetings and/or community events.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
As an employee of GraceMed Health Clinic, Inc., you are bound by principles of medical ethics. You have both a legal and moral obligation to protect the privacy of our patients. In the course of your work, you will have access to confidential information regarding patients, and/or the practices’ confidential business. It is essential that you refrain from any discussions regarding personal information about a patient, a patient’s condition, a patient’s finances, proprietary company information, and/or the practices’ confidential business with any third person. This includes, but is not limited to, other employees, your spouse, family or friends.
Confidentiality is so important that any breach of this policy will be considered grounds for termination. Review and signature of the Agreement is a condition of employment. Successful skills testing, drug screening, and a background check are required for employment.