About the Position
Provides patient care services to complement the provider’s role of delivering primary health and optometric care services at GraceMed Health Clinic, Inc.
Dependent on Experience
The Medical Assistant/Optometric Technician has a primary obligation to the Corporation as a whole and reports to the Clinic or Medical Manager.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepares patients for examination, treatments and procedures
- Obtains vital signs and chief complaints
- Obtains and/or reviews family history
- Chaperones and assists providers during exams and procedures
- Administers P.O. and I.M. injections and medications as ordered (after completion of competency training)
- Cleans and sterilizes equipment and instruments
- Maintains and stocks exam rooms
- Performs phlebotomy and CLIA waived lab tests
- Performs direct patient care within the limits of his/her training and capabilities when the provider is unavailable
- Performs a variety of tasks to assist the optometrist in eye examinations and corrective procedures. Records patient medical histories and helps prepare the patient for the vision examination
- Assists with tests that help ensure the accurate diagnosis and treatment of a diseased eye to include; patient pre-testing such as visual acuity, color vision, depth perception, pupil reflexes, visual field testing, pressure inside the eye, and blood pressure
- Responsible for ensuring patient understands the proper care and use of glasses and contact lenses that the doctor has prescribed and assists patients with frame selection and fit
- Assists with making and repairing eyeglasses, and cleans sophisticated ocular equipment
- Documents administration of all injections and medications in medical records
- Records lab results in medical record and notifies patients of their results subsequent to provider reviews
- Records family history in medical records
- Returns or receives patient phone calls during office hours; performs triage of patients by phone or in office, assessing medical needs of patient and coordinating appropriate care or interventions and referring to licensed staff or providers as indicated
- Provides patient education as requested
- Assures proper labeling and handling of all specimens. Completes appropriate requisitions and/or paperwork
- Maintains a follow-up system for lab results
- Coordinates referrals and schedules appointments with specialists and ancillary services on behalf of patients in the Patient Referral Clerk absence
- Assists with the Prescription Assistance Program
- Maintains clinical equipment and supplies
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times
- Assists in the development of and documents protocols related to his or her job functions
- Performs other appropriate duties as requested by supervisors
Experience & Qualifications
Education & Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Must have bilingual proficiency in Spanish
- Graduate from an accredited Medical Assistant program strongly preferred. Other equivalent healthcare certificates or degrees may be considered with the appropriate combined experience
- CPR certification (must be obtained within 30 days of hire)
- Minimum one-year direct experience in a medical assistant role required for candidates with no formal MA education. Previous patient care related experience is preferred for candidates with formal MA education
- Previous experience serving in medical field specific to optometry highly preferred
- Previous computer experience preferred
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment, including computers, copiers, and other standard office equipment
- Ability to work independently, organize, monitor, and adjust work as necessary to ensure accuracy and timeliness
- Demonstrated ability to identify and solve problems
- Can provide innovative input into the development of the office and its processes
- Ability to strongly embrace and personify the mission and values of GraceMed with socio-economic and cultural sensitivity in mind
- Must display good verbal and written communication skills, and be able to professionally receive and follow oral instructions
- Compassion for patients, family members, and others; along with a nurturing spirit to provide care during stressful situations
- Understands ethics of confidentiality
- Courteous, honest, and professional at all times
Work Environment & Schedule
Medical office environment. Multi-task oriented position including direct patient care may require sitting or standing for long periods. Bending, stooping, and lifting (up to 50lbs) may be required. Must interact with physicians, patients and other office personnel. Must possess socio-economic and cultural sensitivity. May involve contact with angry, upset or ill persons. Will involve potential exposure to blood and body fluids and other hazardous substances. Must have visual acuity and manual dexterity to assist with procedures, perform and interpret lab results, and interface with computer. Must have auditory acuity to handle phone calls and extensive patient interaction.
Schedules vary. May require overtime depending on patient volumes.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
As an employee of GraceMed Health Clinic, Inc., you are bound by principles of medical ethics. You have both a legal and moral obligation to protect the privacy of our patients. In the course of your work, you will have access to confidential information regarding patients, and/or the practices’ confidential business. It is essential that you refrain from any discussions regarding personal information about a patient, a patient’s condition, a patient’s finances, proprietary company information, and/or the practices’ confidential business with any third person. This includes, but is not limited to, other employees, your spouse, family or friends.
Confidentiality is so important that any breach of this policy will be considered grounds for termination. Review and signature of the Agreement is a condition of employment. Successful skills testing, drug screening, and a background check are required for employment.