About the Position
Provides professional care and assessment of patient's health concerns both in person and over the telephone in order to complement GraceMed Health Clinic, Inc.’s mission of delivering primary health care services.
Dependent on Experience
Reports to the Medical Manager
Duties & Responsibilities
- Utilizes communication skills, knowledge of disease processes, and normal growth and development for all age groups in order to ascertain an accurate understanding of patient’s symptoms
- Determines the severity of the patient’s complaint; directs the patient to the appropriate emergency services if necessary; recommends the suggested medical follow-up based on their assessments and established triage protocols, and provides health information
- Coordinates referrals with physicians, specialists and ancillary services on behalf of patients when needed
- Assists in the development and documentation of protocols related to his or her job functions.
- Prepares patients for examination, treatments and procedures
- Obtains vital signs and chief complaints
- Obtains and/or reviews family history and records in medical chart
- Chaperones and assists supervisor and providers during exams and procedures
- Administers P.O. and I.M. injections and medications as ordered (after completion of competency training)
- Documents administration of all injections and medications in medical records
- Cleans and sterilizes equipment and instruments
- Maintains and stocks exam rooms
- Performs phlebotomy and CLIA waived lab tests
- Assures proper labeling and handling of all specimens. Completes appropriate requisitions and/or paperwork
- Records lab results in medical record and maintains a follow-up system for lab results
- Performs direct patient care within the limits of his/her training and capabilities when the provider is unavailable
- Returns or receives patient phone calls during office hours; performs triage of patients by phone or in office, assessing medical needs of patient and coordinating appropriate care or interventions and referring to licensed staff or providers as indicated
- Provides patient education as requested
- Coordinates referrals and schedules appointments with specialists and ancillary services on behalf of patients in the absence of appropriate referral staff
- Assists in the development of and documents protocols related to his or her job functions
- Maintains CMO’s office calendar to coordinate work flow and meetings
- Manages CMO’s incoming correspondence, including faxes, phone calls, memos and emails
- Modifies and updates documentation such as reports, memos and letters using word processing, spreadsheets, databases and/or other presentation software such as Microsoft Office or other programs
- May conduct research, compile data and prepare reports
Experience & Qualifications
Education & Experience
- Certificate from an accredited school of nursing required
- Current State of Kansas licensure as a LPN required
- Current CPR certification (must be obtained within 30 days of employment)
- Able to maintain appropriate licensure and certification including meeting and/or exceeding CME requirements
- Bilingual (Spanish)
- Experience in public health and/or critical care experience preferred
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment, including computers, copiers, and other standard office equipment
- Ability to work independently, organize, monitor, and adjust work as necessary to ensure accuracy and timeliness
- Demonstrated ability to identify and solve problems
- Able to provide innovative input into the development of the office and its processes
- Able to function independently and document meticulously
- Ability to strongly embrace and personify the mission and values of GraceMed with socio-economic and cultural sensitivity in mind
- Must display good verbal and written communication skills, and be able to professionally receive and follow oral instructions
- Compassion for patients, family members, and others; along with a nurturing spirit to provide care during stressful situations
- Able to handle stressful situations
Work Environment & Schedule
Medical office setting. Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time. Bending, stooping, and lifting (up to 50lbs.) may be required. Interaction with physicians, patients and other office personnel. May involve contact with angry, upset or ill persons. May involve potential exposure to blood and body fluids and other hazardous substances. Must have visual acuity and manual dexterity to interface with computer. Must have auditory acuity to handle phone calls.
Normal schedule is Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm., schedule may vary.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
As an employee of GraceMed Health Clinic, Inc., you are bound by principles of medical ethics. You have both a legal and moral obligation to protect the privacy of our patients. In the course of your work, you will have access to confidential information regarding patients, and/or the practices’ confidential business. It is essential that you refrain from any discussions regarding personal information about a patient, a patient’s condition, a patient’s finances, proprietary company information, and/or the practices’ confidential business with any third person. This includes, but is not limited to, other employees, your spouse, family or friends.
Confidentiality is so important that any breach of this policy will be considered grounds for termination. Review and signature of the Agreement is a condition of employment. Successful skills testing, drug screening, and a background check are required for employment.