About the Position
Provides critical first contact between patients and GraceMed Health Clinic, Inc. by scheduling patients for appointments for both dental and medical departments.
Dependent on Experience
Reports to the Director of Quality Assurance
Duties & Responsibilities
- Screens and routes patient calls efficiently and ensures accurate registration, appointment scheduling, and follow-up appointment scheduling into database
- Responds to patient’s questions by editing, canceling and re-scheduling appointments as necessary according to clinic protocols
- Reminds patients to bring with them to each appointment; medications or list of medications they are currently taking, income verification documents, medical insurance information if applicable
- Verifies patient information including demographics and medical/dental insurance coverage, as applicable, every time a patient comes to the clinic
- Works diligently to minimize patient’s time spent on hold on the telephone and answers incoming calls according to protocol
- Calls and reminds patients of upcoming appointments according to protocol
- Documents patient cancellations and failure to show for appointment per protocol
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times
- Assists in the development and documentation of protocols related to his or her job functions
- Takes patients lists home due to impending inclement weather. Cancels or reschedules patients if inclement weather occurs
Experience & Qualifications
Education & Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 2+ years of previous customer service and computer experience
- 2+ years of multi-line telephone experience
- Additional training and/or experience in call center procedures and medical terminology preferred
- Previous knowledge of electronic heath records system preferred
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment, including computers, copiers, and other standard office equipment
- Ability to work independently, organize, monitor, and adjust work as necessary to ensure accuracy and timeliness
- Demonstrated ability to identify and solve problems
- Able to provide innovative input into the development of the office environments and its processes
- Must possess high level of skill and accuracy in entering data into computer while talking to patients on phone
- Commitment to accuracy
- Able to learn new concepts and procedures quickly
- Ability to strongly embrace and personify the mission and values of GraceMed with socio-economic and cultural sensitivity in mind
- Must display good verbal and written communication skills, and be able to professionally receive and follow oral instructions
- Effective telephone etiquette required
- Clear understanding of ethics of confidentiality
- Honest, courteous and professional at all times
Work Environment & Schedule
Administrative office environment. Ability to sit for long periods of time. Bending, stooping, and lifting (up to 50lbs.) may be required. Ability to read computer screens for extended periods of time. Interaction with physicians, patients and other office personnel. Must have visual acuity and manual dexterity to interface with computer. Must have auditory acuity to handle heavy phone call load and interact with patients effectively.
Normal schedule is Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm., schedule may vary. May require overtime depending on patient volumes.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
This job description has been examined for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) (May 1995).
As an employee of GraceMed Health Clinic, Inc., you are bound by principles of medical ethics. You have both a legal and moral obligation to protect the privacy of our patients. In the course of your work, you will have access to confidential information regarding patients, and/or the practices’ confidential business. It is essential that you refrain from any discussions regarding personal information about a patient, a patient’s condition, a patient’s finances, proprietary company information, and/or the practices’ confidential business with any third person. This includes, but is not limited to, other employees, your spouse, family or friends.
Confidentiality is so important that any breach of this policy will be considered grounds for termination. Review and signature of the Agreement is a condition of employment. Successful skills testing, drug screening, and a background check are required for employment.